Authors: food beast
These cheesy twists are the perfect, easy appetizer for your next get together (i.e., SUPER BOWL PARTY). They’re so easy that even someone with no kitchen experience *cough* boyfriend *cough* can make them in no time at all without any help from the resident house-cook.
Not only do they require minimal effort, but you can prepare them in advance. That means you can spend 20 minutes in the kitchen today, freeze them, and have the treats ready at the drop of a hat for the next time you have guests over.
I used parmesan cheese because I know it gets nice and crispy. I debated cheddar as well, but, ya know. That would have taken me twice as long. I’ve got another sheet of puff pastry on ice with cheddar written all over it.
I would go with any sharp cheese, since you want it to have lots of flavor, because the pastry itself isn’t super flavorful. If not parmesan, a good pecorino or asiago would certainly do the trick. I also added a sprinkle of garlic powder, a dash of smoked paprika, and a hint of cayenne for a little bit of kick, but the skies the limit here.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed.
- 2 ½ ounces (a little over ⅓ cup) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- Egg wash (1 egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon of water)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment.
2. Roll puff pastry to smooth folds. Roll to about 12 inch by 10 inch rectangle.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the cheese and spices.
4. Rub surface of puff pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle cheese mixture over half of the puff pastry and fold the un-cheesed half over the cheesed half. Roll again to press the two sides together, you should now have a rectangle that is 6 or 7 inches by 10 inches.
5. Cut rectangle into ½-inch strips, you’ll end up with about 20 strips. Grab each end of a strip and twist until you have a spiral. Place on the baking sheet, and continue twisting each strip until they’re all twisted.
6. Now you have a choice – bake now or freeze for later
To bake now: Brush each strip with egg wash, sprinkle with salt, and bake for about 13 minutes until nice and golden.
To freeze: Place baking sheet in the freezer 40 minutes or until frozen. Move twists into a freezer-proof bag and freeze until you’re ready to make them. To bake from frozen, add an extra 2 – 3 minutes onto the baking time.